Based in Windsor, England, the Round Square is a consortium of 220 like-minded schools in 50 countries on every continent. Founded by educational theorist Kurt Hahn, the founder of Gordunston School in Scotland and the Outward Bound movement, his approach to experiential learning led to the Round Square founding. He is credited for the quote, “There is more to you than you know.”
The Round Square organization is most noted for its approach to embedding character education, leadership development, service, experiential learning, democracy and internationalism in the school’s existing framework. These form the six IDEALS of the program. We, as a school, are already doing this in our teaching and learning; our values and mission statement embody the Round Square ethos and philosophy.
powerful, 1200 student+ international experiences in places such as Singapore, Hamburg, Ottawa, Indore, Cape Town, and with major speakers- Justin Trudeau, Winnie Mandela, explorers, change makers, and young leaders making and inspiring change
Conferences on a specific thread, a bit closer to home.
International Service Trips- students sign up for Christmas and summer trips on their own to complete extraordinary service projects under the Round Square guidance.
One way or two way for three or four weeks at a time; primary objective is cultural immersion.
Student Leadership of the Round Square Student Committee
King Constantine Award
Awarded annually to a girl who embodies the spirt of the six IDEALS.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Participation in Round Square 2021
- Attended MLC Women’s Inequality Postcard - February 2021
- Attended Colegio Nogales Postcard - March 2021
- Attended St. Mildred’s Lightbourne Environmental Conference -April 2021
- Character and experiential education-risk taking, resilience, teamwork, empathy, problem solving, etc.
- Develop global competencies, cultural competencies, leadership, service, and empowerment
- Transformative experiences for students and adults alike
Round Square Representative
Dr. Juli James
Director of Community Lifejjames@fsha.org